Consulate General of Ireland to Hong Kong and Macao
David Costello was appointed Consul General of Ireland to Hong Kong & Macau on 6 August 2018.
He joined the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade in July 2008. Previously served in three Irish Government Departments:
- Department of Environment, Heritage & Local Government (1994–2008), his last role being Director for Social Housing Construction; and
- Department of Social Welfare from 1985–1994, with a short period [1990–1991] in Roinn na Gaeltachta (the Government Department responsible for advancing the use of the Irish language).
In the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, he has served as:
- Director for Reconciliation in Ireland [2008–2010]
- Deputy Head of Mission [2010–2014] in Embassy of Ireland, Bucharest
- Deputy Head of Mission [2014–2018] in Embassy of Ireland, Mexico City
He holds an MBS in Human Resources Strategy from Dublin City University and was an Associate Lecturer with the National College of Ireland [1994-2010].